Self-awareness is the keyYou can’t begin to change anything in your life until you become aware of the thoughts, beliefs, mindsets, habits, and patterns that are keeping you stuck. Most people however are allowing these things to run on autopilot…and then keep wondering why they feel so crappy about themselves and why things never get better. Many look for solutions externally. They believe that buying something new, having a new relationship, job, car, dream house, etc., will make them feel better. But the real changes occur from within…not from external sources! You must become self-aware of the negative things happening internally so that you can begin to identify those things that aren’t working for you and begin to change them! But there’s one key difference that can help you to begin moving towards self-love. You need to view those things without judgment! I was very aware of many of the negative thoughts, mindset, and other internal things that were holding me back. But I observed them with a whole lot of judgment. And that did nothing but increase my shame!
Questions to ask yourselfWhen one of these negative things came up for me, instead of allowing myself to react with self-loathing and shame, I began asking myself some questions about it.
- How does this make me feel? (Sometimes you may be reacting to something in a way that others expect you to react, but not the way you feel about it!)
- Do I want to continue feeling this way?
- Is my reaction serving my highest good?
- Do I want to feel better than this?
- Am I willing to let this go and release this energy?