Notice: I'm an affiliate for Amazon as well as other companies. Any links in this article may be affiliate links. I always appreciate it if you purchase something using my affiliate links. Doing so helps me to raise a little extra money that pays for the costs of running this site. And it allows me to continue bringing you quality content, all without costing you a thing! Thanks!
I absolutely adore baked macaroni and cheese. Unfortunately, because it’s just me, I don’t make it very often. But back in 2013 for Thanksgiving, my Mom asked me if I would bring some macaroni and cheese for our Thanksgiving feast that year. I was delighted to have the opportunity to make my baked macaroni and cheese to share with the family! It’s nice to have a clean version of this recipe available for the holiday season! And that’s important for energy-sensitives!
Can be made gluten-free or even grain-free!
In the picture above I used gluten-free elbow macaroni. (I use this brand and really like it). It is the one I’ve brought for Thanksgiving each year since all those years ago. No one in the family can even tell that it is gluten-free!
Most baked macaroni and cheese recipes also usually call for some type of flour to thicken the cheese sauce. I used arrowroot powder as a thickener in order to keep this dish gluten-free! This is one of the brands of organic arrowroot powder that I use regularly!
This past year, I used chickpea elbow macaroni, making this recipe grain-free! This is the brand that I use. I like the chickpea pasta because it’s low glycemic. This means that it won’t mess with your blood sugar levels like wheat or gluten-free pasta will. That is important for energy-sensitives that have blood sugar issues!
It is really yummy and was a huge hit at our holiday gathering….but this is one dish that is perfect anytime!
Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 2 cups whole milk or milk substitute
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp minced onion
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 4 cups elbow macaroni
- 4 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter a 9×13 baking dish and set aside.
- Cook the pasta so that it is still firm and not soft (it will finish cooking in the oven)
- Drain pasta and place in buttered baking dish.
- In a large saucepan melt the butter on medium high heat
- Add arrowroot powder and allow to cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Stir in the milk, sea salt, black pepper. dry mustard, and minced onion.
- Bring the mixture to boiling and allow to thicken, stirring frequently.
- Add 3 1/2 cups of shredded cheese to the thickened milk mixture.
- Stir the mixture until the cheese has fully melted.
- Pour the cheese mixture over the pasta in the 9×13 baking dish.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top of the pasta.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Allow the macaroni and cheese to sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.